Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The "Normal" Kids



When people ask me what I teach and I tell them Special Ed, the first response is always about how I must be so patient.  Then it is usually followed up by some compliment about how special I must be to work with the "tough kids."  While I appreciate the kindness, I don't feel it is necessary at all.  The truth is, I feel SO lucky to get to work with these amazing kids every day.  They probably teach ME more than I can ever teach them.  I feel so privileged that I get to be the teacher that my sweet little ones rely on.  My school has done a wonderful job of integrating special needs students as much as possible into their classrooms and I am really proud of that, but this video reminds me that "normality overlooks the beauty that differences give us."  I hope that if I teach my students anything this year, they will always remember  "you don't have to be normal, you can be extraordinary!"

1 comment:

  1. I think all of us are normal. All of us created in the image of God. All of us with our own unique differences that make us who we are. We all have our own amazing contributions to make in this world. My kids are classified as "normal" to most folks, but as moms we know they don't fit that cookie cutter exactly.

    ReplyDelete